More Asian recipes at Homestay Hong Saeng
YIELD: Makes 6 servings
- 3/4 pound boneless beef top sirloin or top round steak
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed consommé, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long)
- 4 ounces rice noodles (rice sticks), about 1/8 inch wide
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced or julienned carrots
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 jalapeño peppers,* minced or 1 to 3 teaspoons Chinese chili sauce or paste
- Place beef in freezer 45 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, combine water, beef broth, consommé, soy sauce, ginger and cinnamon stick in large saucepan;
- bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick; discard.
- Meanwhile, place rice noodles in large bowl and cover with warm water; let stand until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Slice beef lengthwise in half, then crosswise into very thin strips.
- Drain noodles.
- Place noodles and carrots in simmering broth; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Add beef and bean sprouts; cook 1 minute or until beef is no longer pink.
- Remove from heat; stir in red onion, cilantro, basil and jalapeño peppers.
- To serve, lift noodles from soup with fork and place in bowls.
- Ladle remaining ingredients and broth over noodles.
Serving Size: 1 bowl soup (1/6 of total recipe) | Sodium 800 mg | Protein 16 g | Fiber 1 g | Carbohydrate 23 g | Cholesterol 32 mg | Saturated Fat 1 g | Total Fat 3 g | Calories from Fat 15 % | Calories 180
Meat 1-1/2 | Vegetable 1 | Starch 1