Usually I cook often in the microwave oven, so I discovered that it works really well to prepare potato gratin.
This gratin is simple to prepare, there is no need to carefully stack the potato slices and in my microwave oven it takes only 20-25 minutes to cook.
Here the recipe:
- ca. 2 lbs / 1 kg firm-cooking potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
- ¼ cup / 60ml heavy cream
- ¼ cup / 60ml sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of dried savory (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp finely cubed bacon (optional)
- Cut potatoes into thin slices.
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl with butter.
- Put the potato slices in the bowl – there is no need to nicely stack them.
- Combine milk, heavy cream, sour cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg and savory. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes.
- Cut remaining butter in small pieces. Place on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle bacon cubes over the potatoes (optional).
- Put bowl in microwave oven. Do not cover.
- Cook with full power until most of the liquid is gone and the top starts to brown lightly. In my microwave oven this takes about 20-25 minutes.
Preparation time: 35-40 minutes
Yields 4-6 servings